Wednesday 5 July 2017

WOW: On the Hook Again

WOW = WIPs On Wednesdays
Meet my new yarn stash! It's cold and gloomy down my way and whilst I don't have time to do anything other than my quilt WIP pile, I've made an exception for these cold nights. It's too much strain for my eyes to work on my applique at night. This is also why I don't read at night anymore either, both activities give me a headache. Although I have a crafting daylight lamp, I find it perks me wide awake...which makes going to bed hard. So I need a new activity for these long cold evenings that's calming and doesn't require too much eye attention. I was thinking about a new crochet afghan and then I saw Anne Marieke's gorgeous crochet mandala and knew I needed to make something warm myself. I love her mandala but don't want to count rounds or be paying attention, if you know what I mean. I intend to work in a kind of 'crochet trance' with one eye on the TV and my hands busy handling this gorgeous yarn.

I've opted for earthy muted shades with a few jewel shades thrown in. There is a shade missing, it's a teal based blue that slots right in, but I'm waiting for it to arrive in store next week as they only had one ball left when I made my choices. The yellow you see is an old antique gold shade in real life and as soon as I get a few rows down I will photograph it in daylight so you can see the colour for its true beauty. They look a bit off under my strong winter inside lights. It's hard to photograph anything at the moment as the gloom is everywhere.

I'm thinking about a zig zag afghan with a texture in it - a kind of ribbing. And I'll be popping these under my favorite chair and just making my process slowly. This afghan will be more of a pleasure project for winter rather than a 'must do' and I'm in no particular hurry to finish. I have no idea how long it will take, be it one or two or three winters doesn't matter. This is one of those satisfying slow projects. I'll share updates when I have something to show.

What's your winter comfort craft?


5 comments:

  1. I will be getting the yarn back out too and try once again for a shrug type sweater for winter - I've 4 or 5 months before I will need it - maybe I can get it done- that is as soon as I pick up the right crochet hook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your yarns are beautiful, Esther. Enjoy every stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think you would get through the winter with out playing with your wool LOL. For the first time in 20 years I'm knitting peggysquares to make into knee rugs for the elderly not sure when you are elderly LOL. When I was 20 I thought any one over 65 was elderly now I'm over that age it's not so old LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though we are in the hottest part of summer, I am getting ready to ball up some yarn for a sweater. Knitting seems to be so relaxing that I miss it when I am not working on something. And I have recently taken up hand embroidery as my evening hand work. It is keeping me off of the computer (playing mindless games).

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fab colored sweater!! Any shade of purple is my favorite. Can't wait to see the new shumper.


    โกเด้นสล็อต
    สูตรบาคาร่า
    Gclub จีคลับ

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...