Wednesday 21 December 2011

WOW: Christmas Baking

WOW = WIPs On Wednesdays

You'll forgive me for being late in posting the WIP today. Usually I like to put up my post early in the morning. But this morning today I have been much too preoccupied with...

Christmas Baking!

My DDs and I have been hard at work because we are about to experience a few days of 30c over here and that's simply too hot to bake. So we have been baking ourselves busy to get everything done so it can be packed away and kept cool until Christmas Eve.

Here's the effort so far:

It's not a celebration without Peaches on a plate

And it's not Christmas without Potica either...

Actually this my DDs first potica made without my guidance so we had it cut it to inspect it and assess it over coffee ( verdict? a good first effort). Usually you would let your Potica rest at least a day - but we're on a schedule here!


This mint slice is so easy, it doesn't even have a recipe.
You simply wizz up biscuit into crumbs in a food processor and add half a block of chocolate so they crumb together. Then press this mixture into the base of a spring tin lined with grease paper. Bake in a 180-c oven for 15 minutes or until golden. The chocolate melts and sets the biscuit.

Then mix 5 cups of icing sugar with 2 tablespoons boiling water and peppermint essence to taste. The sugar should be smooth and thick - almost too thick to stir - custard like. Pour this over the biscuit base. Put in the fridge to set. Melt the rest of the chocolate and spread over the cold set icing sugar.
Release from from tin and slice thinly (or not so thinly as we opted for below).


These apricots balls don't have a recipe either. Using your food processor, you simply throw in 1 cup almonds, 1 cup dried apricots, zest of 1 lemon, juice of that lemon, and 1 tin of condensed milk (375mls). You know it's done when the blades of the processor stop turning! Then you roll teaspoon amounts into round balls and roll in shredded coconut. Really you could use any dried fruit and nut combo and we might even make it with cranberries as we have a lot of those.


What do you think these are?


they're walls to a gingerbread house my DDs are making

and these are the 'stained glass' windows !

I will post more pics as they progress with their little house.

And now, on the wednesday before Christmas, it really is my last opportunity to tidy up my sewing room (I've been doing this in segments all week). So with my DDs in the kitchen, I had better get on with it!


10 comments:

  1. If I lived in Australia, I would SO try to make sorbet a Christmas tradition! I NEVER turn on the oven in that kind of heat. (But I have been know to bake brownies on the BBQ). Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks so fabulous...I think I can smell it all over here!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you a Merry Christmas and a healthy, loving and happy 2012. With lots of new handicrafts inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to come to your house for Christmas, so much really yummy stuff to eat. And, maybe, you could teach me how to find the time and talent to do some of the applique and stenceling you do. ;-) Merry Christmas, Esther.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh they all look so yummy. I not to crazy about cooking, but I love to eat. LOL Maybe when we get a kitchen with cabinets and counters I'll enjoy it a little more. Right now there is no place to work other then a small cab. about 24" square.
    I see some great links to WIP this week. Can't wait to go check them all out this morning. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooo..you make me hungry! Everything looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is totaly yummy-ness at your house, WOW!!! The appricot balls are calling my name. I'm going to have to give them a try this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of the gingerbread house! The stained glass windows are wonderful.
    A very Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I smell your foods...mmmmmmmm.Absoluterly yummy!

    Merry Chrsitmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...